Print A Copy Of The Rules
SCHERERVILLE GIRLS SOFTBALL
INSTRUCTIONAL / 8U DIVISION RULES
1. Official Game
- An official
game will be after the completion of three innings (if raining). A full game is five innings.
new inning will start after 1 hour and 15 minutes after the start of the game.
umpire determines the official start time of the game.
2. Playing Field
- A 35 foot pitching mound will be used.
- 55 foot base lines will be used.
- (Note: the infield is
to have chalked hash marks, marking the halfway point between all base paths).
3. Official Ball
- An 11 inch incrediball
will be used.
- The manager
and one coach are allowed on the field when their team is on defense to give instruction.
- The manager or coach positioned behind the catcher may not call pitches,
communicate with the umpire or provide input while on the field.
- A pitcher cannot pitch more than 2 innings per game.
- One pitch thrown in an inning constitutes an inning pitched.
is no cumulative limit on the number of innings a pitcher can pitch per week (i.e. if there are 3 games during a week, the
same pitcher may have pitched up to 6 innings).
- No walks.
- After 4 balls, a coach from the team at bat will pitch.
- The ball / strike carries over when the coach comes into pitch.
coach pitches until the batter strikes out or gets a hit, with a maximum of 4 pitches being thrown. (example: batter has 4
and 1 count batter gets 2 more strikes with no more than 4 pitches being thrown by any coach). If the batter has not put the
ball in play within 4 coach pitches the batter is called out UNLESS the 4th pitch is a foul ball in that case the batter will
get another chance to put the ball in play.
6. Hit Batsman
- No hit batsman.
- When a batter is hit she
is awarded a ball in the ball/strike count.
- If she swings and misses
a strike is counted.
- If a pitcher hits more
than 3 batters in an inning (not a game), the manager must remove her.
- She can play another position, but cannot pitch for the remainder of the game.
at 1st base, 3rd base and home plate will result in the ball becoming dead. Runners will not be allowed to advance.
– Any ball thrown to 1st, 3rd or home plate that exits fair territory.
throws are still in play and the runners may advance 1 base at their own risk.
- **Errant throws - If the
ball does not go beyond the foul lines.
8. Defensive Ball Control
- Time is called when the pitcher has the ball within the pitcher’s circle or when an infielder
has control with the ball held in front of the lead runner.
- If the runner(s) is beyond the hash mark, they are awarded the next base. If not, they must return
to the previous base.
- No bunting, no lead offs, no infield fly rule and the
catcher cannot block home plate on any play at home plate.